Are you trying to save some money but are finding it really hard to stick to your budget? If you’re really serious about setting some money aside or tightening your belt, here are 10 costly mistakes you don’t want to make…
1. Don’t Eat Out. If you want to save money for the important things in life, you have to STOP spending your money on fast food and restaurants. It’s ok once in a while, but eating out all the time will dig a hole in your pockets. If you have to eat out, buy stuff from the $1 menu or use coupons!
2. Don’t Splurge at the Dollar Store. Sure, everything seems so cheap at the Dollar store, but it’s a trick! Once you’re in there, you start looking at all the things that cost “only $1” and now you must have them. STOP! You don’t need any of it! Most of the things you’ll buy at the Dollar store will probably end up thrown somewhere (never to be used), or broken the same day. If you have to grab something from the Dollar store, give yourself a budget and take the exact amount of money you need with you. That way you won’t end up with a $48 receipt when you only walked in there for 2 things. You can also use coupons to get some stuff for free! (Free is ok)
3. Don’t Pay FULL Price. STOP paying full price for stuff! With all the sales, promos, coupons, rebate apps, and so many other ways to save, there is no reason to pay full price for anything! No matter how cute it is, don’t do it! Even if you don’t care to use coupons, taking advantage of BOGO sales and clearance deals will surely save you lots! Remember, eventually just about everything goes on sale.
4. Don’t Use Credit Cards. Unless, of course, you’re going to pay them off at the end of the month. I know it’s nice to have money on a card that you can use to pay for things when you don’t have actual money, but the finance charges are murder! You can save hundreds of dollars a year just by staying away from that seductive piece of plastic.
5. Don’t Pay for Books. If you love to read, you can enjoy reading books for free! One way you can do that is with a Kindle Reader. If you don’t have a Kindle, you can still read free books by downloading the FREE Kindle Reading app on any mobile device that you already own. It’s even available on desktop computers. There are SO many free and super cheap Kindle books that there’s really no need for you to have to pay for books anymore. Once in a while is ok though 😉
6. Don’t Forget the Gas Rewards. We all need gas, there’s nothing we can do about that. BUT you don’t have to pay full price all the time. If you get gas at a place that offers rewards, you can rack up on savings! For example; you can save 5¢, 10¢ or even 15¢ per gallon, depending on how much gas you buy and when you use your rewards. If you ‘re a coffee drinker, you can even use gas station rewards to earn a free cup of Joe every now and then. Be sure to sign up at your favorite gas station and read up on all the benefits you can get.
7. Don’t Shop On An Empty Stomach. Before you head out to the grocery store, make sure you have something to eat and that you’re NOT hungry. Why? Because when you’re hungry everything looks delicious! If you’ve ever gone out without eating, you know exactly what I mean. Your $50 grocery bill will easily double or even triple if you’re so hungry that all you can do is imagine yourself eating everything on the store shelf!
8. Don’t Pay for Movies. There’s no reason you can’t enjoy some good movies for free or very cheap! If you’re a member of Amazon Prime, you can enjoy watching free movies & TV shows with their Amazon Video app. You can also rent free movies by looking out for free codes and coupons from Redbox. If you want an even bigger selection of movies, you can subscribe to Netflix for just $7.99 a month. That’s less than the price of a child’s movie ticket! Plus your first month is free. Definitely something to look into if you’re serious about sticking to a budget and saving money.
9. Don’t Spend Money On Beauty. Yes, we all want to be beautiful. But you don’t always have to spend money to look good. Do your own hair at home. Don’t know how? There are tons of tutorials on Youtube that show you many different ways you can wear, color, style and care for your own hair and/or your child’s hair. You can also do your own nails and eyebrows. Believe me, it’s not that hard. When you have a few extra dollars, go ahead an treat yourself to a day at the Beauty Salon. But until then, there’s no reason you can’t do it yourself.
10. Don’t Buy Things You Don’t Need. It seems obvious that when you’re trying to save money you shouldn’t buy things you don’t need, but it’s the #1 reason why people can’t stick to a budget! If you want to save money, you have to separate your needs from your wants. To make it easier, make a list of the things you need and another of the things you want. Always stick to the list of things you need and when you have some extra money, pick something out from the list of wants. Eventually you’ll be able to afford all the things you want (within reason) without sacrificing the things you need.